BB cream is one of my favourite product to use. The Rimmel BB Cream Matte actually does make my face… matte! It provides good coverage and the colour looks normal. The texture and consistency is nice and it blend easily onto my skin. It does not feel oily at all and it helps cover up my blemishes.
The only thing I don’t like about this product is the packaging. The formula is very running which is ideal for a BB Cream but having it in a tube (that has a large orifice size) isn’t such a good idea. The product leaks everywhere and its very hard to clean off clothes (I’ve had it drip on my clothing more than once ><). It would like been much better if it was in a pump bottle.
But nevertheless, I really like this formula. It covers up my face for the whole day and since my face gets really oily, this product helps absorb the oil from my face leaving it nice and matte.
The Ingredients Breakdown
- Solvents: Aqua/ Water/ EAU, Alcohol.
- Skin Conditioners: Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Tocopherol, Sorbitol, Spiraea Ulmaria Extract, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Lactic Acid.
- Emollients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone.
- Humectants: Butylene Glycol, Glycerin.
- Absorbants: Talc, Kaolin.
- Preservative: Salicylic Acid.
- Perfume: Limonene, Linalool, Parfum/Fragrance, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional.
- Antioxidants: BHT, Pentaerythrityl Tetradi-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate.
- Binder: Triethoxycaprylylsilane.
- UV Filters: Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Octocrylene.
- Colourants: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).
- Anticaking Agent: Aluminum Dimyristate.
- Bulking Agent: Nylon-12.
- Viscosity Controllers: Magnesium Sulfate, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer.
Front of Pack (FOP):
- 9-in-1 Skin perfecting super makeup
Back of Pack (BOP):
- 9-in-1 skin perfecting super makeup with a natural matte finish
- Minimises the appearance of pores
- Evens skin tone
- Controls shine all day
- Conceals dark circles
- Helps prevent blemishes
- Gives all day coverage
- Oil free formula
- Dermatologically tested
- Clinically tested
- Non Comedogenic
This formula contains a lot of good ingredients and the claims are very appealing. It is indeed a oil free formula as no oils are seen in the ingredients list. In order to make the claims SPF15, Dermatologically & Clinically tested and Non Comedogenic the finished product goes to third party testing houses to be tested. If they pass the test then the claims can be made.
There are 9 very bold claims this product makes, lets review these in detail below!
- Minimises the appearance of pores; the formula provides good coverage without clogging up your pores.
- Evens skin tone; the colour of the formula is very natural (it is not either red or yellow – which happens if the colours are not mixed properly).
- Mattifies; there are a lot of silicones (e.g. Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone) in the product which provides the matte effect.
- Controls shine all day; the absorbant ingredients (Talc and Kaolin) helps absorb the oil on your face providing shine control.
- Smoothes; the silcones in the product provides a smoothing and silky feel.
- Soothes; Bamboo extract (Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract) and Meadowsweet extract (Spiraea Ulmaria Extract) are known to have skin soothing properties.
- Conceals dark circles; I don’t have any dark circles so I cannot confirm this claim. But it covers up blemishes pretty well for a BB Cream.
- Helps prevent blemishes; Witch hazel is known as an astringent and its antibacterial properties which helps treat acne and eczema.
- Gives all day coverage; For me it does provide all day coverage but it differs to everyone depending on their skin type.
There are a couple of ingredients which are known to have bad effects when used over the specified limit. Octocrylene (UV filter) is known to cause contact dermatitis when used in a concentration higher than 10%. Pentaerythrityl Tetradi- T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate (Antioxidant) is known as a toxic chemical but can be safely used at a concentration of 0.0001-0.8% or lower.